Creating a Safe Home for your Pet – Scents!

Pets are known to be sensitive to smells. It is their primary way of identifying the people and objects around them, especially when it comes to recognising their owner’s scent.

However, this would also mean that they are equally sensitive to smells that may trigger levels of discomfort for them. It is therefore always important to be careful of the type of candles, essential oils or air fresheners you use at home. So if you’re a pet owner reading this – what are the types of scent you should or should not use? Read on to learn more!

Non-toxic ScentsToxic Scents

For all pets:

  • Frankincense
  • Chamomile
  • Lavender
  • Ginger
  • Rosemary
  • Cedarwood

For all pets:

  • Tea tree (melaleuca)
  • Eucalyptus oil
  • Ylang-ylang
  • Pine oil
  • Cinnamon
  • Citrus
  • Peppermint oil

*Note: Lavender is generally harmless unless ingested in large quantities.
**Please note that this list is not exhaustive. Please consult your veterinarian for further guidance and advice.

Scented Candles
Burning candles produces smoke which may sometimes irritate your pet’s respiratory system. To avoid any complications, it is important to ensure that you know of your pet’s medical history – for example, whether they have an existing asthma condition – which may further be worsened when they take in candle smoke into their respiratory systems.

Alternatively, using flameless candles or “cleaner-burning” candles made from soy, beeswax or vegetable wax will ensure the safety of your pet.

Essential Oils
Keeping essential oils around the house may pose as a danger to pets, especially when it comes into contact with their skin or through accidental ingestion. Always keep them away from your pets to avoid risking any danger.

Air Fresheners
Certain essential oils may be present in air fresheners and we must always be aware of the various scents that may be toxic for your pets. It is always advisable to follow label instructions for use.

Is Febreze Safe for my Pet?
There have been many myths surrounding the safety and use of Febreze in a household with pets. According to the ASPCA, Febreze is harmless to pets when used according to their description guide. However, for extra precautions, or if your pet has sensitive skin conditions, always make sure to let the Febreze spray fully dry for 10-20 minutes before letting them roam around the area.

Symptoms of poisoning
When we use chemical products around our pets, regardless of whether it is considered non-toxic, we should always take precautions and be vigilant in noticing signs of discomfort.

If you observe your pets having any of the symptoms stated below, make sure to consult your local vet or cease using the product.


  • Difficulty Breathing
  • Vomiting
  • Liver Damage
  • Skin Irritation
  • Seizures
  • Low body temperature