Application of the PDPA
The PDPA applies to all organisations, including non-profit organisations such as SPCA. We at the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (“SPCA”) take our responsibilities under the Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (the “PDPA”) seriously. We also recognize the importance of the personal data you have entrusted to us and believe that it is our responsibility to properly manage, protect and process your personal data.
Definition of ‘Personal Data’
In this Policy and under the PDPA, “personal data” refers to any data (whether true or not) about an individual who can be identified (1) from that data; or (2) from that data and other information to which we have or are likely to have access.
Examples of personal data that SPCA may collect include:
- name, NRIC, FIN, passport or other identification number;
- date of birth;
- contact details such as telephone number(s), mailing address(es), and email address(es);
- education details;
- next-of-kin details;
- images, videos, and voice recordings;
- employment and financial details; or
- any other information relating to any individuals which may have been provided to SPCA, in any form.
Collection of Personal Data
In general, SPCA collects your personal data when:
- you submit any form, whether online or hardcopy (including but not limited to the donation/sponsorship payment notification form, cruelty complaint form, membership application form or a GIRO form);
- you enter into any agreement with SPCA (for example, when adopting animals, purchasing products on SPCA’s website, or entering into employment agreements);
- you provide other documentation or information in respect of your interactions and transactions with SPCA, or when you use SPCA’s services (for example, when SPCAneeds to issue a donation receipt, membership receipt, official receipt, claim form or Animal Handling form to you);
- you interact with SPCA staff, volunteers, and other representatives (for example, via telephone calls, email, fax, letters, and face-to-face meetings);
you request that SPCA contact you, or be included in an email or other mailing lists kept by SPCA;
- you respond to SPCA’s request for additional personal data through other initiatives (for example, when SPCA needs to know the names and ages of your children for an age-related workshop it conducts);
- you submit an employment, internship or volunteer application, or when you provide documents or information including your resume and/or curriculum vitae in connection with any appointment;
- SPCA takes a copy of your NRIC, work pass, passport and documents related to proof of residence (for example, your tenancy agreement or a utility bill in your name), to support your application for a dog licence;
- SPCA takes your photographs or videos when you attend SPCA events or when you use SPCA’s premises for your private function (for example, a birthday party);
- SPCA seeks information about you and receives your personal data in connection with your relationship with SPCA (such as following up with animal cruelty complaints or for employment applications);
- and/or you submit your personal data to SPCA for any other reason.
Accuracy: SPCA will make reasonable efforts to ensure that the personal data SPCA collects is accurate and complete. Please help SPCA by ensuring that all personal data that you submit is complete and accurate. SPCA will not be responsible for relying on inaccurate or incomplete personal data arising from your not updating us of any changes in your personal data that you had initially provided us with.
If SPCA is likely to use your personal data to make a decision that affects you, or if SPCA is likely to disclose your personal data to another organisation, SPCA will make reasonable efforts to ensure that personal data collected by or on behalf of us is accurate and complete.
Security: SPCA will ensure your personal data is adequately protected by making reasonable security arrangements. Appropriate security arrangements will be taken to prevent any unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, leakage, loss, damage and/or alteration of your personal data. However, SPCA cannot completely guarantee the security of your personal data and we cannot assume responsibility for any unauthorized use of your personal data by third parties which are wholly attributable to factors beyond our control.
Purposes for Collection of Personal Data
SPCA may collect, use and disclose your personal data for the following purposes:
- processing and the issuing of receipts or annual letters for donations, sponsorships, giro collections and membership;
- submissions of CPF contributions, IR8A, uploading of donation records to IRAS and other regulatory submissions that are required to be fulfilled;
- submission of an application for a dog licence to AVA on your behalf, together with a copy of your NRIC, work pass, passport and proof of residence;
- responding to, processing and handling complaints, queries, lost and found reports, requests, feedback, tip offs and suggestions;
- assisting and contacting parties in relation to the services they have requested;
- processing and delivering your online and Christmas order purchases;
- liaising with the relevant authorities in relation to the services requested;
- running events that SPCA hosts;
- research and advocacy purposes in relation to animal cruelty issues;
- to provide information to the relevant funding agencies;
- SPCA’s internal record keeping purposes;
- applying for staff insurance and work passes;
- for use in SPCA publications and publicity material, or to send out SPCA publications and publicity material;
- contacting volunteers regarding their tasks, or regarding future volunteering opportunities; and/or
- complying with any applicable rules, laws and regulations, codes of practice or guidelines or to assist in law enforcement and investigations by relevant authorities and agencies (including but not limited to, the submission of audited accounts or providing information to investigations conducted by the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore).
SPCA will seek your prior consent for any disclosure of your personal information in relation to these purposes and for any other purpose that is not listed above.
SPCA will retain your personal data for as long as the purpose(s) for which it was collected remain(s) valid, or for as long as the personal data is necessary for SPCA’s legal or business purposes.
Contacting SPCA: Feedback, Complaints, Access and Correction of Your Personal Data, and Withdrawal of Consent
- have any questions or feedback about how SPCA handles personal data;
- have any complaints about how SPCA has handled your personal data;
- wish to obtain access or make corrections to your personal data that SPCA has; or
- wish to withdraw your consent to SPCA’s use of your personal data.
You may contact the following SPCA’s Data Protection Officers:
Ms. Dibashini D/O Yensegeran (HR & Admin Officer) at [email protected]
Please identify yourself and indicate the personal data that the request concerns. SPCA will strive to respond to each request as soon as reasonably possible and as accurately and completely as necessary. However, please note that SPCA may refuse your request under certain circumstances as laid out under the PDPA. We may also charge you a reasonable fee for the handling and processing of your requests to access or correct your personal data. We will provide you with a written estimate of the fee we will be charging.
Note on Withdrawal of Consent: If you withdraw your consent to the collection, use, and/or disclosure of your personal data, depending on the nature of your request, SPCA may not be able to continue providing its services or performing its contractual obligations to you. Any withdrawal of consent may also result in the termination of any agreements or arrangements you have with SPCA.
As part of our efforts to ensure that we properly manage, protect and process your personal data, we will be reviewing our policies, procedures and processes from time to time.
We reserve the right to amend the terms of this Policy at our absolute discretion. Any amended Policy will be posted on our website and can be viewed at http://www.spca.org.sg/data-privacy-policy.asp
Last Updated on 29 November 2018.