Call us at 62875355
24 hour hotline: 62875355 ext 9
50 Sungei Tengah Road, S(699012)
General Information
Dogs: General Care/Health/Others
Cats: General Care/Health/Others
Rabbits: General Care/Health/Others
Hamsters/Guinea Pigs: General Care/Health/Others
Others Animals: General Care/Health/Others
Brochures & Leaflets
Learn with Walter
Pet Care : Details
Why Can't I Feed My Dog Chocolate Or Grapes?

Chocolate contains Theobromine, a chemical that is toxic to dogs. Chocolate toxicity is dose-dependent. It varies according to individual sensitivity, animal size, type of chocolate, and amount of chocolate ingested.

Chocolate toxicity potentially causes:

  • excitement
  • nervousness
  • restlessness
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • muscle spasms
  • seizures
  • increased thirst
  • increased urination
  • increased heart rate
  • heart rhythm abnormalities
  • coma, death

Grapes and raisins also cause toxic reactions in dogs. The toxicity is also dose-dependent. The exact mechanism is still unknown. Grape and raisin toxicity first causes gastrointestinal upsets, then progresses to sudden kidney failure and death.

Signs include:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • anorexia
  • lethargy
  • depression
  • abdominal pain
  • tremors
  • increased urination and increased drinking

It is safest not to feed your dog any amount of chocolate, grapes or raisins. Should your dog ingest any of the above, please contact your vet immediately.