1. Feed your dog twice a day, in appropriate amounts (you may wish to seek your vet's advice).
2. Before starting on a new diet, consult a veterinarian. This is especially important if there are health problems to consider.
3. Increase the fibre intake if your dog is prone to constipation.
4. It is normal for dogs to eat small amounts of grass. Contrary to popular belief, this does not do them any harm.
5. Be prudent when giving your dog extra dietary supplements. Most good commercial dog foods provide ample amounts of nutrients. As such, excess supplements may cause nutritional imbalances and may even be toxic. If in doubt, check with your veterinarian.
6. Most pet foods now come in a 'senior' version for older dogs.